I’ve been working on something very cool for the past few weeks. I’ve always wanted to make my own CMS and I finally have! I started this project because the folks at my place of work wanted a small and simple CMS to allow the owner of a website to make a few simple edits. I think they might have gotten a little more then they bargained for here. This CMS is quite powerful!
The ideology behind the ChompMS is simple… Allow clients to modify their web pages with almost no risk of altering the design and layout of the page. When you hover over a editable tag it gives you the option to make changes to it in a few different ways. All editable tags are essentially various plugins that define what types of tag they are. Right now it has a plaintext, html, image, links, markdown, list, and shop plugin.
So a quick breakdown of each plugin…
- Plaintext: Simple, just accepts plain text, no HTML tags, used for altering things like header tags.
- HTML: Allows the use of HTML tags and uses the TinyMCE Wyiswyg.
- Image: Displays a single image. You can change it by uploading a new one at any time.
- Links: Makes an unordered list of links with nesting options. Ideal for navigation.
- Markdown: A plain-text syntax that allows you to write using an easy-to-read, easy-to-write plain text format, then convert it to structurally valid XHTML (or HTML). …Read More.
- List: Allows you make a list of post, can be used a a mini blog, tracks when and who posts to it.
- Shop: A more advanced plugin, setups a Paypal shop on your website. Allows you to add items and coupon codes. You can view the order history right from this plugin.
Some features that the ChompMS current has…
- Multiple user logins and support for SSL.
- Tags get locked if one person is already editing the specific tag, so no fear of overwriting someone else’s work!
- Quickly and easily modify the title and keywords for all your pages.
- Optionally HTML Tidy and APC(Alternative PHP Cache) support. Allows you to optimize what gets outputted while keeping load times super speedy!
- Easy to template, easy to add editable tags! Just make a “cms” tag with an unique ID and a a type that corresponds to the plugin you wish the tag to use.
Planned features include…
- Automatically update ChompMS to latest version.
- Pack and unpack websites for easy transportation to another web server.
- Version control on all tags, ability to roll back to a previous edit painlessly.
- Multiple User levels with permission settings. Normal users without CMS access, but ability to post to plugins that don’t require a full login.
- Add new pages from the CMS settings page using predefined page templates. Will give non-coders a lot of flexibility to add and alter pages on their site!
- Other cool stuff!